Voter Registration


 What are the qualifications to register to vote and to vote?

You are entitled to register to vote in Clay County if you are a U.S. citizen, in the state of Missouri, County of Clay and 17 1/2 years or older. You must be 18 to be eligible to vote. No one is eligible to register to vote that is adjudged incapacitated.

 What do I need to register to vote and when do I get my Voter ID card?

If a resident of the county registers at the Clay County Election Board, a local license bureau or at another site designated by the Election Board they must present a valid Missouri driver's license or other form of personal identification. Once the registration is received and processed the office will send a voter identification card. If a resident registers by mailing in a voter registration application, the office will send a verification letter. Once the resident votes in an election he/she will receive a voter identification card.

 What are the election dates and the deadlines to register to vote?

Election Dates and Last Day to Register to Vote - click here.

 Where can I register to vote?

Online: Missouri Voter Registration (

In our office: 100 W. Mississippi St., Liberty, MO 64068 (M-F 8am-5pm)

Mid-Continent Libraries in Clay County during regular business hours. 

 What do I do if I receive a Voter ID card and the person named does not live at my address?

Return the card through the mail to the election board or have the person named on the card send a written and signed notice stating they have changed their residence within or outside of Clay County. Do not call the office, we are not able to make a change to someone's voting record unless a notification comes through the United States Postal Service, or it comes from the individual with their signature.

 Does the Election Office record my party preference when I register to vote?

Beginning January 1, 2023, the voter registration application will include a choice to add your political party affiliation. Voters will also have the opportunity to declare political party affiliation during voter check-in process at any election.

 What do I do if I have not moved but I no longer wish to be a registered voter?

A voter should send a written and signed letter stating the fact that they no longer wish to be registered. Once the signed notification letter is received the voter will be removed from the voter registration database.